Sunday, November 20, 2011

Is zinc oxide just to protect skin or treat rashes?

We are haveing a dispute over this. Many answeres. I have been told it is just to protect the skin. And then again it is to treat skin rashes. I think (desitin) has zinc in it but other ingerdeints that to the treating. Need help please.|||Both!





It is an active ingredient in many suntan lotions, acting as a mineral or physical block to the suns rays. This is what produces that white effect you get from suntan lotions.





It is also an active ingredient of diaper (nappy) creams. It acts as an effective barrier between your baby's skin and the irritating excretions inside the diaper. In this way it can help prevent diaper rashes.





Similar to diaper creams, it is also found in some ointments/creams for minor skin irritations such as burns or cuts. Zinc is both healing and soothing for the skin - see also my comment below in the antiacne cream.





It is also an active ingredient in some anti-acne and wound healing creams because the mineral zinc can help regulate the activity of the oil-producing glands in the skin, thereby helping to prevent acne. Zinc is also important for healthy wound healing .





Hope this helps.|||Zinc oxide is solely for the purpose of protecting the skin from UV rays.|||Welp I think it's for both. It creates a barrier against dampness but something like Aveeno diaper rash ointment can suck the life out of just about any kind of weeping psoriasis or other "wet" kind of skin irritations. I would know because I used it on psoriasis and it worked for both things. God knows I tried everything else then one day I reached for Aveeno with zinc and I swear it was like the answer to my prayers. I was desperate, did a ton of reading on the subject to find oatmeal and zinc are both good ingredients and it just so happens Aveeno has both. So the zinc will dry it out AND soothe but I prefer the combo to hit it with the double whammy.





Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment