Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My 16 mo. son has horrible diarrhea and diaper rash with Broken/Open skin. He has been on Omnicef for 5 days.

What can I do for the Diaper rash with Broken skin?


I have used Desitin, Neosporin, vaseline, baby powder... nothing seems to be working.





Is there anything I can do about the diarrhea, or to lessen it or help comfort him.|||Call you doctor and ask about using a cortizone cream - that is what the doctor had me use on my oldest but that was several years ago so it might not be the method of choice any longer.





Good Luck|||My daughter used to get those alot. wipe him with wet washcloths instead of wipes- they burn. Continue to make a barrier between his skin and the diaper with cream. bordeaux butt paste or triple paste works really well. warm baths with just water seemed to soothe my daughter. They should have requested to see the rash, call if it doesn't get better in case the antibiotic causes a yeast infection, even in little boys.|||more likely you need some nystatin for the rash. A lot of times antibiotics can cause a yeast rash. The over the counter stuff does absolutely nothing for it.|||I would call and talk to a nurse. Give them the details. Let them know about the broken open bleeding diaper rash. Exaggerate if you have to. Then see what they say and recommend. Tell them what you have used and do ask about other methods.





Good luck! I'm so sorry that he's suffering.|||Corn starch. Like you use for cooking. Works great. And pedialite. Doesn't stop the diarrhea but keeps them hydrated. Banannas and peanutbutter. God it's been so long I hardly remember. Hang in.|||ok watch with the broken skin you don't want it coming infected. have you tried bathing in water every day with a few drops of lavender oil or tea tree in the water. then have you heard of sudocream it excellent!!





ask to get him checked out with a dietitian


good luck im sure this is frustrating for both of you.|||omnicef should come with this warning: parents beware...


ok, if not from the manufacturer, at least a warning from the pediatrician when scribbling that prescription down ...


been through the same 5 months ago with a 10mo-old, and I'm telling you the after effects were awful: diarrhea/soft stool for 2 months (they even refused to take her back at daycare until I brought a dr's note that she was ok; come ooon, puh-leeez), and more recently yeast infection (dr said the antibiotic caused it as well).


It takes proper care and patience. Back then she was drinking fruit juice once a day. I eliminated that for a while , with no visible improvements of her condition, so I choose not deprive her anylonger of good nutrients in hopes of her diarrhea clearing out, because it didn't. so, it took months of just eating a normal diet.


in your baby's case, the broken skin has to be addressed. I do not even use wipes at home (they do at daycare). I wash/rinse her waist down after each diaper and let it air dry/apply petroleum jelly-use unscented Target brand (i noticed not to have any curative benefits, it only keeps the moist away from the skin). and frequent diaper changes. if he goes to daycare, let them know to check him less than every two hours (they do the diapering of older children on schedule, every 2 hours or so-which to me seems dumb, because what if the kid is dry at 8:00 and goes at 8:05? will stay wet for another 2 hours. again, dumb idea)





if it turns out to be a yeast infection (which I heard boys don't get), then nystatin Rx does nothing to it. it's a cream that gets all on the diaper after applying it. The ped gave us Vusion Rx -ointment ( a few manufacturer sample tubes-and it cleared in 2 days). then we had to buy the damn thing ($300 without insurance !!!, $70 with insurance, but he gave us a manufacturer co-pay assistance card (we only paid $10), and one 50mg tube was enough. and after that we contnued with the much cheaper good-for-almost-nothing nystatin.





for further reading:


http://www.medications.com/se/omnicef





I, for one, now know to stay away from this thing..


good luck|||My daughter was born with a rash like that! I swear by vasoline %26amp; cornstarch. You can even use the baby powder pure cornstarch too. That was the only thing that would work for me, better than any rash cream!|||You should bring him to the doctor and wait till he makes a poopy so the doctor can change him and see the rash plus it cant be that bad to change him. I mean diarrhea is really fun to change!|||Keep the little guy hydrated... pedialyte oughta do it. Try giving him time each day without his diaper, just a bare butt to let air get to the rash. Cloth diapers are gentler on babie's skin and help prevent rash, you might try them, at least till he's over this.





With the skin broken and lasting diarrhea, though, I'd take him to his pediatrician, and if they don't want to see him, find someone who will. Poor kid, poor mama. :(





Hope he's better soon|||Hi, my daughter recently had the same problem , I took her to the doctor and they gave me Nystatin and triamcinolone Acetonide USP it is a cream applied twice daily and it worked wonders . Her open sores were gone in 4 days . THIS STUFFS WORKS

No comments:

Post a Comment